I was running errands one day and noticed my headlights weren’t working and the warning light was on. Luckily it was still daylight so I could go home and fix them. The first thing I checked was the fuses. There was one for each side. While testing them, we had power on the line side and nothing on the accessory side.
I was excited because I thought this would be such an easy fix, but I couldn’t have been more wrong! Going from there I removed my headlights and removed the bulbs to test for current. I noticed on the passenger side we had power but still, the bulb would not light up. So then I went to the driver’s side to see why it wasn’t working. This side showed no current.
Now my next step is to go back to the beginning and do a continuity test on the “new” fuses I just replaced. You know my saying! “Just because a part is new doesn’t mean it is!” Why I’m saying this because even though the fuses look good with the naked eye, doesn’t mean it’s going to function right. I also tested the new harness pigtail for the headlight and dome light switch. There was power coming into it but not going out. So I tested the switch itself and while doing this I hooked up my hotwire leads and found the switch was not working. So we replaced the switch.
With no changes in my headlight condition, I tracked down the wires to the headlights through the harness coming from the fuse box. Doing this with a continuity tester, helps me locate any sort of wire breaks between point A to point B. Once I eliminated any breaks in the wire, I can narrow it down to headlight bulbs.
The next step is to order new LED lightbulbs because it’s obvious that the bulbs aren’t working. After I received my lightbulbs two days later and we had lights! Victory cruise at night!!!