As you know if you’ve been reading this blog, this is another repair I knew I eventually had to do on my Suburban. So I thought with this repair I would try to do it with only the items I have on hand, without having to spend extra money on this repair.
So, what I did first was to clip the wires holding the socket to the wire harness so I may have a better sense of what I can use to make this a quick and cheap repair. With my socket connection, there was still one wire connecting to the socket and the other one had broken off short of the socket, with just enough wire sticking out that I felt I could work with it to do something with it.
So my first thought was to go to my storage container that has all my wire crimp connections in. My thought was to find a crimp connection that doesn’t have any colored plastic insulation around it. So, I’m looking for just the metal itself. And this plan is to get in close enough to this little piece of wire to make a solid connection with the hopes to make this repair stick.
Now I got it to work for which was my goal, but to also make it a “No money spent repair”! But no such luck! It wouldn’t work because my insulation was too old and brittle to make the hold count. I went online and found a great deal for replacement sockets for my application.
So on to replacing the new sockets. What I first do is strip the wires on my rear harness for my license plate light. Then I go and turn on my marker lights so I can properly test which one is my positive wire and which one is my ground wire. Now I took a small piece of masking tape to help me identify my positive wire just so I will connect the wires correctly for my new sockets.
Once that is done, I put a red crimp connection on my positive wire and a blue one on my ground, this way I won’t screw it up! Now I can connect the first of my 2 new sockets. When I received my shipment I noticed my sockets, my wires on them were not color-coded. Here is where you need to have patience and take things slow to make this repair work properly.
Now while I was doing this repair, I kept the marker lights on and was sure I had new bulbs in my sockets to aid me in knowing that my job was done right. Once my lights showed power and were illuminated, our last step is to insert them in housings for which they will be sitting from now on.
Of course, THE VICTORY CRUISE!!!!!!