One day I wanted to give my truck a new choke cable to go along with the carburetor rebuild. I wasn’t too happy with the knob that came with it. After all, it was just a cheap cable from a local parts retailer. I had a knob that was black and stainless steel that I had bought from a local auto parts recycler, that matched all the other knobs in my truck currently. So I thought, maybe I could cut the knob off of the universal choke cable and somehow get this other knob and see how hard it would be to get it to fit.
After getting the old knob cut off (sorry there were no pictures taken of this process) I took the new knob and looked at the shaft of my new cable and it measured to be about right, just by eyeballing it. So what I did is I put my cable in my bench vice and grabbed my new knob, grabbed some silicone adhesive put a little bit on my knob, thinking it wouldn’t hurt for a little extra strength. So I proceeded to tap this knob onto the new shaft gently with a dead blow hammer because it was a little bit of a tight fit.
Tapping lightly to not split my new knob and I have success! It worked! By the way, my knob from the Junk Yard only cost me $2 !!!! So if you compare the price of what I paid for my cable and my knob, I saved myself about $25 on this cable and I have the vintage style and looks and I got both parts locally, all I had to do is one alteration and I am very satisfied with the results!