Okay, to start with, I only replaced my hinges because one of them went out on me, so I had to use an old broom handle to keep the hood open. Using that broom handle was driving me crazy! So I took a look around, shopping online, misc catalogs and everything I found was from China or made of billet aluminum! No offense to anyone who is okay with Chinese parts or billet aluminum, but my heart is set on restoring my 1966 C-10 truck to original American-made parts for my American-made classic truck.
So I finally took to shopping at the recycling yards. Sometimes you can get really lucky and find a vintage lineup like some I have where I live. I found some great trucks so I checked them very carefully, making sure they raised and lowered the hood perfectly without any problems, like checking to make sure the springs are clean, also watch them when you open and close the hood for any vibration. Because if there is they may be close to wearing out on you too soon. And then at the same time watch the hinge, making sure it doesn’t bow out away from the inner fender. I’m wanting straight up and down action with no signs of weakness. These two I found were perfect! Then I needed help for the next part. To lift the hood. Lucky for me there were two other guys there removing parts also that day and were very willing to help me because I was very willing to help them in return. I love to run into other car lovers! So willing to lend a hand whenever another needs it! So, we removed the hood bolts, they grabbed the hood and I flipped it into the bed. Always ask for help if you need it. Remember ALWAYS SAFETY FIRST! in any kind of work you do.
Now removing hinges, just two bolts and I’m done. I only paid $12.00 for BOTH hinges with springs, they didn’t care if I took the bolts. I had previously found the next to cheapest on eBay. They had various junkyard hinges for sale starting at $35.00 for just the hinges some were without the springs PLUS shipping. But what a deal right. NOT!
Yes, I bought some more things while I was there but that will be in other posts. So I just took these two beauties home for their restoration now for the Lil’ Chevy. As you know from the past projects, I like to use my tried and true old drill and a medium-grade wire wheel. They weren’t too bad at least the hinge part, but in the spring, I couldn’t get into much of the inside of it but they weren’t too horrible back in there anyway. But right now I only needed one to get rid of the prop rod. Once I was finished, I put on a wicked coat of Low Gloss O.E.M. black paint and it looked fine!